Wednesday, May 7, 2008



So, this is what the past four days of my life has looked like. Tissues, cold medicine, supplements, Tylenol, gallons of water, cough drops, my remote control and my Zune have been my life support since Sunday night.

I zipped through the weekend at work. I even had a freakishly high level of energy going despite working the 5 am shift of doom, which should have been my first clue that something was wrong. By Sunday night my throat was starting to tickle a bit. I downed an Airborne, went to bed, and woke up with a full on burn in my throat. I promptly canceled my dinner plans, and by Monday night was in full on fever, runny nose, sore throat, passed out on the couch, oh my God shoot me now I'm never going to recover from this sick.

By five am Tuesday morning I was on the phone with someone at work sniffling and coughing and saying that I would not be coming in. (His advice? Drink lots of beer and smoke lots of weed. Thanks, Brian!) I rarely call out of work. In fact, the last time I missed work was when they sent me home when I had strep and was running an insaneo fever that had me dangerously close to passing out. (When HR doesn't think you're okay to drive, it's really time to pack it in.)

So, since then I've been in my bed watching Buffy on dvd (I think I've logged something like 13 episodes in the past few days), listening to lots of music, took a lot of cold showers, and survived on nothing but drugs and popsicles. (Seriously, the number 1 sign that I'm really sick is my intense need for popsicles. I've been through a box and a half, and I will not under any circumstances eat them any other time.)

Today is the first day I've actually been up and mobile, although only for few hours at a time, then I'm back to bed. Despite all this, I'm taking my ass back to work tomorrow night. The fever is finally gone (I hope.), I can taste things again (sorta), my chest still feels heavy, I can't stop coughing and I still kind of feel like I got hit by a car, but its alright. The other sign that I know I'm starting to feel better is that I have this intense need to scrub my room from top to bottom. Wash the sheets, vacuum the floor, disinfect everything I've laid my hands on in the past few days.

All in all, I think I'm gonna live!

No comments: